On February 2 PEAR ran a webinar titled "Universities in Partnership: Strategies for Education, Youth Development, and Community Renewal" and you can watch a replay of it here.
Presenters included Ira Harkavy from University of Pennsylvania and a some of the key concepts discussed were:
- The deep, extensive, and substantive level of engagement that universities and communities can have
- The difficulty of growing up in urban environment caused by factors including crime, violence, poverty, and high dropout rates
- The challenge to marshal all of the potential resources to make a difference
- A decade ago it was radical to think of a university/community/school partnership, now they are much more common
- The concept of a "democratic partnership" with a democratic and civic emphasis that works with a egalitarian, transparent, and and collegial process