Parts of Allston are represented in the State Senate by Jarrett Barrios (district in yellow). Brighton and other parts of Allston are represented by Steve Tolman.
One argument could be made that it helps to have two senators and two reps interested in what is happening in the same area.
A different line of reasoning is that this dillutes our influence, reduces accountability, and diminishes civic engagement.
Common Cause is supporting a new redistricting process that would
- Keep towns and city neighborhoods together.
- Practice non-partisan redistricting.
- Prevent redistricting from intentionally protecting or harming any candidate.
- Foster competition by treating incumbents like any other candidate and creating opportunities for local elected officials to "move up".
- Protect the voting rights of minority communities.
- Require a public process and public input.
You can read more about it at the Common Cause website