How to get rid of that old TV or computer monitor

There's a new crop of discarded TVs and computer monitors on the sidewalks in North Allston. They follow a consistent pattern of sitting there for a while, then someone breaks the glass, eventually someone cleans up the broken glass, the remaining shell of the set is used as a creative trash can for someone who stuffs an empty coffee cup or beer can inside, and eventually (sometimes weeks) later it finally disappears.

Fortunately there is a much better solution. The City will pick up and properly dispose of TVs and monitors for no charge. Just call (617) 635-7574 or e-mail trashtvcrt@cityofboston.gov. A few weeks ago when someone left a TV on the sidewalk near my house I sent an email to this address and was amazed to get a response in less than 5 minutes. A dedicated truck travels the city and a pick-up was scheduled for our regular trash pick-up day that week.

7 comments:

  1. Thanks so much for posting this!

    I've had an old monitor sitting in my living room in Allston Village for about six months now, because I didn't know how to arrange a pickup!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous10:32 AM

    Every so often the city of Boston sends out a flier about recycling. It tells you how to dispose of TVs, moniters. paint and batteries. It is very helpful. It also gives useful phone numbers.
    John Thompson
    Brighton

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'd hate to say it, but the reason CRTs end-up out there and smashed is a willful ignorance on the part of the resident who puts it out on trash night and doesn't put 2 and 2 together when it doesn't get taken along with the trash, opting instead to ignore it, hoping it will go away... or that someone else will clean it up. Don't get me started about the jerks who think it's cool to smash the screen (a horrible idea on so many levels) and then the housing...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous9:46 PM

    As i was going to vote i was walking by the comcast building on to Rena st. I saw a BIG RAT. As I stomp my foot to the ground to scare it away it ran in to a Home owner front yard.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous9:11 AM

    Another reason the glass gets broken are residents throwing them off roofs and out of windows... fun at the time I guess

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you very much for the post. I'll do my best to spread the word about CRT disposal.

    ReplyDelete
  7. let me advise if you are getting rif of your tube... do not get a new one

    ReplyDelete