Ciommo, the Mayor, BC, and the BRA

This blog post by Candidate for Mayor Kevin McCrea suggests that A/B District Councilor is too close to Mayor Menino because Ciommo got Sam Yoon to "scale back" a hearing order about the BRA's handling of Boston College's Institutional Master Plan.

The City Council order for a hearing is at:
http://www.cityofboston.gov/cityclerk/hearing/upload_pdfs/docket_pdfs/040603082009.pdf

The text of the letter is:

Michael Colby
Deputy Director for Strategic Policy Initiatives
Boston Redevelopment Authority
One City Hall Square
Boston, MA
02201-1007
617-918-4469

From: Dunford, Molly
Sent: Tuesday, March 10, 2009 5:13 PM
To: Colby, Michael
Cc: Kineavy, Michael
Subject: late file

Hey Mike
Ciommo just gave me a heads up that Yoon is late filing an order on the BRA's process re: BC. Ciommo signed on and got him to scale back the language on it, but he said it is most likely coming from the Brighton Neighbors United group. It is critical of the board vote in January and the issue with the Zoning Commission in March. They didn't have the language yet, but they will get it to me as soon as they do. I'll keep you posted.

Mayor's Liaison to the City Council
Intergovernmental Relations, Room 968
617-635-4493 (phone)
617-635-3289 (fax)



Here is a response from Mark Ciommo:

I have always been consistent in my position on the Boston College Institutional
Master Plan.

I have not contradicted any aspects of my disclosure form.

Councilor Yoon approached me to co-sponsor a late-file Order for a Hearing regarding the BRA process with Boston College's IMP. I provided him with my feedback that I supported several components of the Order for a Hearing, but that I thought that some of the language was inaccurate. I also felt that some of the language was politically charged.

He agreed to remove the aspects that we discussed and I joined him in co-sponsoring the order.

My intent was to remove politics from the discussion and focus on the BRA process. I think the end result was a more productive hearing.

The hearing was held on April 3rd. You can watch the video of it here: http://www.cityofboston.gov/CityCouncil/cc_video_library.asp?id=679

4 comments:

  1. Mark Ciommo hasn't always been consistent on the BC IMP. As recently as a couple of months ago, his website still boasted his campaign promise to oppose any plans that included significant construction on the BC Brighton Campus. He has since changed his "issues" page... better to gloss over policy failings then make false promises, I suppose.

    Anyone who went to the Boston Zoning Commission meeting knows that Mark Ciommo has far from recused himself from this situation. He has not been consistent or fair to the residents of District 9.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "He has not been consistent or fair to the residents of District 9."


    Those aliens don't deserve to be equal!



    (i mean the movie....)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous10:42 AM

    Ciommo was hand-picked by the mayor to run two year ago. No surprise he still fits in his pocket. Yoon is one of the few Councilors not rubber-stamping.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous2:11 PM

    I predicted how Ciommo would turn out on "Brighton Centered" and for that I was banned. He's an amiable dope who does not have the balls or the wits to deal with the legbreakers aligned against the middle-class people of Allston-Brighton.

    ReplyDelete